Thursday, April 15, 2010

Proud

After reading another person's blog, it made me realize, although I love Sweden. I am certainly proud to be an American and say I am from America. American's are criticized and shown in such a way that doesn't give the rest of the world a proper view as an entire country.

As somebody who has lived in another country for some time now, I can see why they have the view they do. They are seeing shows like "The Jersey Shore", "The Biggest Loser" and other shows containing "smut" that depeict American's as greedy, fat, selfish, idiots. And really, these shows have an affect. Many people think this is exactly what America is like. AND many of the people who truly believe this, have never stepped foot on American soil. It's not fair to judge if you have never experienced.

These are also the same people who love OUR television shows. "CSI" "Desperate Housewives" "Gossip Girl" "Grey's Anatomy", etc. and including many of our movies. America really gets an unfair deal. We provide lots of countries with a lot of things, but only get the back hand when it comes to an overall view. And by no means, do I think America is the perfect country or place to live, but it's a really great country and a really great place to live.

So, as most of my readers are American, I am sure you can see my side. Again, I want to reiterate, I love Sweden, I have learned so much here and I have a fair view of both countries. Yet, I am still not judging. It's about understanding and embracing the differences all of us have as individuals, people from different towns, and countries.

On a lighter note, the weather is beautiful! And last night Fredrik and I started a fire, grilled hot dogs, talked, laughed and enjoying the crackling fire. Perfect night.

The Swedish thing of the day is Swedish pancakes. They are thin and as big as your plate. The Swedish Chef is soooo good at flipping them in the pan, I love watching him make pancakes. They don't stack them up like we do. One at a time, with some sugar and jam and then rolled up. Yes, they eat them with a knife and fork! And of course, there are other variations, such as with fruit, whipped cream and me, I enjoy syrup on mine! :)

And see, not everything in the US is bigger. :)


The Swedish word of the day is "svensk pannkaka" which is "Swedish pancake" Yum!

3 comments:

  1. God Bless America - but God Bless us all too. Most prejudices come from ignorance, fear or jealousy. But on a lighter note - can't wait for you to be here flippn svensk pannkaka.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One totally unfair situation is that America doesn't even get a fair presentation from all TV and print media types IN THE USA. Why?
    That is shameful and we should hold them accountable.
    I, too, am proud to be American.

    Anyway, those pancakes look like thick French crepes or Blinzes. All countries have their own type of 'fried' bread. Looks like a lot of people like something sticky and sweet on theirs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you from your comment on Susan's Swedish Visiting cake, and I thank you for giving the Swedish name of that cake. I visited Romania a couple of years ago with my father and brother. We had dinner with some distant cousins. During the meal, one of them turned to us and said, "You're from America. And you're not fat." Yep, warped view for sure.

    I love Swedish pancakes - one recipe I've used is from about 20 years ago in the Hannah Andersson catalog. Another is from a client of my husband's - years ago - on the same page with a delicious yellow split pea soup. How cool that you are exploring Swedish cuisine.

    ReplyDelete