Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Story of a Swedish Chef

There is a food here and it's magical, and I don't know why we don't have it in America. Sugar Cake. It's a very fluffy, sweet, yellow cake, with the main ingredient being sugar.

The first time I ever had sugar cake was about a year ago. Fredrik was visiting me in Kansas and he said one day 'I want to make you a sugar cake'. Uhm, ok, I love to eat and I love to bake and I've never heard of this. Ok, what do you need to make it? Sugar, eggs, milk, butter, flour, kardemumma and vanilla powder. ????

So we go to Hy-Vee and we look around and find Cardamom. Yea, never used that. But still no vanilla powder, can you use vanilla extract? It's liquid, I dont'w know, we don't know! Let's just try it and see.

Come home, watch TV, Swedish Chef doesn't want me in the kitchen. The Swedish Chef works alone. So it's a lot of noise, a lot of 'shit's' and 'hmm's'. I just ignore it. Finally a really, really, really wonderful smell comes from the kitchen. How long is that going to take? Don't ask questions! Continue watching TV. Finally, Swedish Chef swaggers out of the kitchen with a paper towel and says 'taste this'. Put a piece of the sweetest, warmest, softest, most delicious cake I've ever tasted in my life. The wonderful smell of Kardemumma and the fluffiness of the cake, wow. Swedish Chef, will you marry me?

I don't know if it was the magic of the first time I'd ever tasted Sugar Cake, or the newness of the Swedish Chef in my house, but man, that Sugar Cake beats all that I have ever eaten since then. Don't get me wrong, this cake is delicious, and I always love it. But Sugar Cake number 1 was a deal breaker. Swedish Chef was here to stay, if I had anything to say about it.

Now Swedish Chef is my husband, and I still sometimes call him my 'boyfriend' or 'fiance'. When do you get used to calling your husband, your husband?

The Swedish thing of the day is Sugar Cake.
This looks quite similar to how Fredrik and his mother make it, they make it in a larger flatter pan, and they dust it was sugar on the top. Delish!

The Swedish word of the day is 'sockerkaka' which is 'sugar cake' and is pronounced as it looks. But with a weird kind of 'u' sounding 'o'.

PS: pictures of the Malmö och Köpenhamn 'Copenhagen' trip coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Looks YUMMY! --Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful story - I guess this makes the Swedish Chef a "sweetie". We'll have to have a sugar cake at the wedding or the brunch on Sunday (or both). Love Mom

    ReplyDelete