Sunday, October 16, 2011

baby apple pies

This past Tuesday my sister-in-law, Hanna, her husband, Andreas and their adorable daughter Agnes came over for dinner. Agnes turned 6 months old last week. I cannot understand how time is going by so quickly! I felt like it was just yesterday Hanna told us she was pregnant!
I love that worried face she has!
Her cheeks are amazingly soft and adorable!
The day they came over was my 'early day'. Which means I had to be at work at 6 am, but I got to leave at 1:30 pm. I really love these days. 6 is very early but it honestly feels like I have a day off when I go home so early! So I had lots of time to make a delicious dinner! I made some cumin bread, crock pot chili, apple ginger punch and baby apple pies. Now this is another thing that is different in Sweden. They have apple pie, but it's not like the American apple pie we think of. An apple pie here has the same fillings but not the same crust. It's simply butter, flour and a bit of sugar sprinkled on top. Still delicious with a lot less work!
I got this apple pealer, slicer and corer (?) from a student at the last school I worked at. This is one of my favorite student gifts ever. What a cute and sweet idea! I use it so much, especially with the season!
Look at how beautiful that is! Takes out so much work!
Baby apple pies
4 apples, if I were in Kansas I'd be using some red delicious! Unfortunately we don't have those here!
1 Tbsp. sugar, depending on the tartness of the apples you are using. You can adjust to your liking!
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. all spice
1 tsp. nutmeg
Peal, core and slice apples according to however big your like your apples to be in a pie. I like them quite small so I cut the sliced apple in sections of 4.
Mix in sugar, cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg and distribute amongst 4 individual baking ramikins.
For the topping
4 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. oats (optional)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut butter into dry ingredients. Distribute into ramikins on to apple mixture.
Bake at 400 for about 25 minutes. The goal is for the topping to be brown, crustry, buttery deliciousness.
PS. Sorry I didn't take a picture of the end product! But I can guarantee I topped it with 2 heaping scoops of vanilla ice cream!
I also wanted to add on that...
Apple Ginger Punch
1 c. sugar
1 galon apple cider
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. all spice
1 can frozen orange juice concentrate
1 liter ginger ale
In a pan mix sugar, 1 cup apple cider, cinnamon and all spice. Simmer on medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Take from heat and add orange juice and remaining apple cider. Chill in the fridge over night. Add ginger ale immediately before serving.
I also think it's fun to make either some ice cubes with tiny orange bits or an ice ring with a bundt pan and a few slices of orange if you are serving in a large punch bowl!
This drink is also really good served warm!
Happy fall!

1 comment:

  1. Babies are so beautiful when they sleep, well they are beautiful all the time, but when they sleep their inner angel just comes out.

    ReplyDelete