Monday, August 17, 2009

Forgot to mention!

How could I!? I met Fredriks mormor and morfar (mom's mom and mom's dad) this weekend. Barbro and Roy! They were amazing! Barbro is a little crazy, in a really awesome, makes her the best kind of grandma, way! I loved them. Their house is SO cute, and is FULL of old stuff, and the house is really small! Well it has a normal amount of rooms and stuff, but the roof was really low! It was like stepping back in time or something! Neither of them speak English either. Well, Roy kind of can, but Barbro, no way! It was so funny! She was speaking really slowly to me in Swedish, like I was deaf or something! Haha, and Fredrik's mom was trying to get me to say cuss words to Barbro in Swedish! They told me that she would think it was funny! So yea, it was a really great time having Fika with them!

Also, Roy makes things out of wood. Really cool things. And I've noticed that everybody has a wooden Swedish flag in their house, and I asked Fredrik about it and apparently Roy makes them! So I told Fredrik to tell Roy I want one! He didn't have one on hand so he gave me a homemade butter knife instead. Here in Sweden, you eat butter with EVERY meal. Everybody has the specific "Swedish" butter knife. And this one looks like the typical knife, only its beautiful and made of wood. I don't think I'll be using it, but I will always have it as another amazing memory I have from my time here.

5 comments:

  1. These are the kinds of posts I was hoping to read on your blog! I love to travel and your adventure is making me consider a trip to Sweden! Thank you for letting us share this experience with you!

    Gran of The Dukes

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! The knife and the story. Do the have reindeer bone knifes too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashley,

    Dad here, been reading your blogs. Sounds like you are having a great time. Hope all is going well and didn't know if you needed anything. Thinking of you and missing.

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. About the butter, I don't =P.. I only have butter on sandwiches and thats very little =P.
    Looking forward to the kräftskiva on saturday!

    ReplyDelete