Tuesday, February 23, 2010

jag vet inte.

I don't know of many Swedish wedding traditions and most Swedes, for example, Fredrik, has not been to nearly as many weddings as Americans. Swedes generally wait much longer to get married than Americans and some live with their partner, have children and might not get married at all or finally get married after many years of living like that. I have researched Swedish wedding traditions and the only 2 that stand out to me as different, but I'm not sure if they are practiced or not are...
1. The brides mother gives the bride a gold coin and the father gives her a silver coin. The gold coin is placed in the right shoe and the silver in the left.

2. The bride wears 3 rings, the first is the engagement ring, the second the is the wedding ring and the third is for motherhood.

Mind you, these are all based on research, not actual first hand experience. So I don't want any Swedes reading this and telling me I am wrong! :)

I think marriage in Sweden is very important and Swedes take marriage at a far higher responsibility than some cultures. It would be extremely out of the ordinary if an 18 year old were to marry or become engaged. Also, the size of weddings is smaller. It's very common that a couple would get married in a court house or take advantage of the beautiful nature and get married in a small park or whatever.

Great question, Gran! :) Sorry I don't know much on the subject and neither does my Swede! :) But all in all, I think weddings here and there are really similar! Definitely a celerbation!

The Swedish thing of the day is Guacamole. This is odd, but notice how different it looks. I think it looks like baby food! But it brings me to another point and it's Sweden's obsession with Mexican food. They have entire sections in grocery stores dedicated to Mexican food. You don't have to search around the store for beans and tortillas and sauce, it's all there in the same place. Even the smallest grocery store, you can find the "mexican section".

The word of the day are "ica" and "hemköp". These are my two mosted go to grocery stores. There are a few others, but I don't facy them as much. :) It's just like in the US, you find the stores you like and go to to them.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info!
    Weddings are important for our family. It is a celebration to welcome a new member and a reunion too. I can't wait to see photos of your wedding! :)

    Gran of The Dukes
    Colorado, USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was planning my Swedish wedding as an American I started out thinking that the two weddings were the same. In fact once we got down to it they are very different. The ceremonies are very different, the receptions somewhat resemble each other but are at the root very different (the dinner takes hour...an average of 4 due to all the speeches), there is a "toastmater" that is responsible for a lot of duties throughout the wedding and reception, the cakes and cake cutting are quite different (cake cutting is important to Americans and not to Swedes), all in all there are a lot of traditions that fall in to culture and family preference. Good luck!!

    P.S. Three rings seems to be still fairly common, the shoe coins have come to be less common and more dependent on bride's family, and the most important component when planning a Swedish wedding THE RECEPTION SEATING ARRANGEMENT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a queue for reception seating? Everyone takes a number as they arrive? :)


    Your American wedding will be great because you'll be taking advantage of the beautiful scenery here in Kansas and surrounded by so many people who love you, support you and believe in you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all in on that Motherhood ring. The bigger the more kids? How does that work? Because I in on that one!!!!

    ReplyDelete