Thursday, August 6, 2009

Public nudity

Today we went to the beach...it was a beautiful day, and although I didn't swim, the girls and everybody else did. So I sat and people watched. Swedish people are not afraid of nudity...at all. Not that it was a nude beach, but women and men alike would put their underwear on over their swim suit, then slip their swim suit off and basically be standing there in their underwear! It wasn't awkward or inapropriate, it just took me by surprise! Now the children, that is another story. Hardly any of the children wore a swim suit. And if they did, they would either take it off, or in the process of changing, would get side tracked and end up walking around naked anyway! Naked kids everywhere! Regardless, it was still an awsome day.

Caitlin, Julia (the 13 year old from Holland who is visiting) Mireille, and I went into Göteborg today. Me and the 2 girls figured out the buses by ourselves, which was a lot of fun and went very well! Caitlin's school is a 2 minute walk from where I will take my Swedish class! Convinient! Then we went to the big avenue where Fredrik took me yesterday and did some shopping. I bought a pair of shoes for 129 kr. which is about 18 dollars! We walk SO much, I had to buy a more comfortable pair of shoes!

Another fact, Swedish toilets allow you to flush full, or half. And the buttons are on the top of the toilet, and yes, they are buttons, not handles. That's kind of interesting...I guess. :)

And today, my bum is suffereing dearly from the bike ride yesterday! Haha, guess I'll just have to get used to that!

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing the little things (like the toilet buttons and the partial flush option) that are so different from here. Just imagine how normal it will all seem to you in several months!

    I know some people living in Australia and she reports that the eggs in the grocery store are not refrigerated...just out on the regular shelves, next to the baking mixes!

    You'll have to tell me where the Swedish eggs are...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried to use the 1/2 flush at the cabin and boy did that cause some issues...

    I'm sure it broke your heart to buy shoes :)...

    ReplyDelete